Saturday, July 7, 2007

Bittersweet*



I greatly dislike goodbyes. They are filled with such uncertainity and floods of memories you wish to relive. Ukraine has forever changed me and has a large part of my heart. I hope that my purpose here in Ukraine was fulfilled and that i impacted someone's life. Most of all i pray that my actions and words simply glorified God and all that He is.


I got up this morning at around 6:00am (a big shock compared to the normal 8:30). I still couldn't get over the fact that we had to leave before the rest of the students did. One more reason why i don't like Delta (and it's stinkin early flights). Well, I wasn't really expecting a whole lot but both of my roomates were already up. Soosanna and Olya woke up too and came outside. Sophia, Helen, and Vala woke up to see us off too. It was just real emotional and bittersweet. such a real picture of friendship. it was funny because Anya had so much joy but i couldn't even muster a smile. When we were driving off in Oleg's van, Alec put his hand on the window and ran after us; pretty much the cutest thing ever.

The ride to the airport was actually pretty good. The boys (Grant, David, Don) kept us smiling and laughing so it really brightened the mood. We went to McDonald's- the first and last place i saw on my trip to Ukraine. The fast food restaraunts here are actually a lot better than in the states; better bread, tomatoes, and meat... pretty much everything. We were all so used to eating soy and rice that we all slept on the plane like it was Thanksgiving. i smelled my sweatshirt; and sure enough- it smelled like Ukraine. i remembered crazily looking for Oleg at the Kyiv airport the first day. i remembered every Ukrainian kid clapping off beat at every program and the late night talks in half English, half hand signals. I remembered Yan building a massive fortress out of branches that had blown down. it's funny how something i have been dreaming of for years completely blew away my expectations. this was the best trip i could have ever asked for.
Take joy my King In what You hear
so let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear..



me "do motorcycles have seatbelts?"

Grant "what size Schnappy?"

Don "thanks meaniehead... you asked me to jump out of a window yesterday"

David "i have a McDonalds shape hole in my heart"

Madison "you might as well be a Coca Cola billboard"




summary by madison hall: "7 out of 11 from Team 2 left this morning...I was sad for them because they left before the kids did. They had a large group of the students see them off...lots of tears."

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I love that song...I'm so glad this trip blew you away. I know how much you were looking forward to it =]